What is a diaper rash?
Burning and redness on the part of the skin that is in contact with a diaper or rubs against a diaper. This condition is also known as Diaper dermatitis.
Symptoms of diaper rash
Following are the symptoms of diaper rash:
- Red, irritated skin
- Skin feels warm
- The baby may develop a fever
- Rashes may form blisters
- Sleepless nights can also be a symptom. Here is how you can Calm a fussy baby at night.
Causes of diaper rash
Following are the causes of diaper rash:
- Sitting too long on a soiled diaper
- Use of antibiotics for the first time
- Use of solid food for the first time
- Mother’s diet
- Too tight diapers
- Chemicals from detergents
- Chemicals from diapers
Risk factors of diaper rash
Following are the risk factors of diaper rash:
- Every infant wearing a diaper is at risk of developing diaper rash
- Babies aged between 3 months to 1 year are at a higher risk of developing diaper rash
- Babies having breastfed diet are at a lower risk of developing diaper rash because there is less acidity in their diet.
Diaper rash preventions
Following are the diaper rash preventions:
- During each diaper change, wash your child’s body with water.
- Use a soft towel.
- Keep the diapers loose.
- Don’t use diapers for more than 12 hours.
Diaper rash treatments
- antibiotic creams can fight infections
- Hydrocortisone can reduce swelling
- zinc oxide
- creams and ointments
Diaper rash creams/ Diaper rash ointments
Following Diaper rash creams (diaper rash ointments) have been trusted by most parents.
Diaper rash remedies
Following are some diaper rash remedies:
Apple cider vinegar
Due to a wide range of health benefits offered by Apple cider vinegar, it is the best home remedy to treat diaper rash. It will not only kill the bacteria but also inhibit the growth of yeasts. Dilute a tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix it in a cup of water. Use it to wash whenever you do a diaper change.
Coconut oil is one of the best diaper rash remedies. It is hydrating, soothing and provides protection. This study confirmed coconut oil as a powerful antifungal. Just apply a little amount of coconut oil so that your baby gets rid of itching causes due to diaper rash.
According to a research published on Researchgate, Olive oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It is a soothing ingredient for irritant dermatitis diaper rash. It can also treat a rash caused by allergic contact dermatitis. Olive oil is also one of the best oil for hair.
DIY Diaper Rash Cream
You can use this DIY Diaper Rash Cream for the best results.
Coconut oil: 1 cup
1 cup olive oil: 1 cup
Beeswax pastilles: 4tbsp
Lavender essential oil: 8 drops
Lemon essential oil: 6 drops
Tea tree essential oil. 4 drops
Mix olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil, and zinc oxide. Use it between diaper changes. Store this homemade diaper rash cream in the refrigerator. Do not forget to rub it between your hands before applying.
Follow me on Social Media