What is thyme?
It is one of the most commonly used herbs in the world. It comes from the Mediterranean areas and is also known as thymus vulgari.
Health Benefits of Thyme
Following are the health benefits of thyme:
- It kills off any harmful bacteria, inflammatory triggers, and irritations.
- It can easily deal with respiratory infections, colds, flues, asthma, sore throats, coughs, whooping coughs, catarrh, bronchitis, and laryngitis.
How to use Thyme?
The best way to use thyme is through inhalation. It will help with all throat, nose, and chest issues. If you are suffering from gingivitis, thrushes, and other mouth or gum infections, use thyme in gargle/mouthwash or toothpaste.
According to experts, even a 1% solution can get the job done. One study confirmed that thyme oil, alongside other essential oils, can act as an expectorant and help you deal with dry coughs by encouraging mucus.
Thyme can also be beneficial for the brain. It helps you to deal with depression, chronic fatigue, and insomnia. It can also improve circulation, increase blood pressure, and enhance memory and logical capacity.
Its essential oil has been used for disinfecting hands before surgery as well.
The research showed that thyme can kill off 90% of microbes in just 3 hours. In fact, it can clean the area that has been affected by various types of bacteria like staphylococcus, proteus, cryptococcal, and streptococcus.
Other Thyme Uses
- Deals with urinary tract and bladder infections, and serves as a diuretic
- Treats vaginitis and candida
- Cures nail fungus
- Useful as a hand sanitizer
- Reduces rheumatic pain, sports injuries, muscle aches and pains, sciatica, sprains, gout, and arthritis.
- Soothes insect bites and skin irritation
- Helps in treating athlete’s foot
- Gets rid of acne or warts
- Used as a hair tonic
- Stabilizes irregular periods
- Eradicates parasites
- Helps skin injuries to heal faster
How to buy Thyme?
You can buy thyme from the local market as well as online. Amazon offers you thyme in various forms.