5 Top Stomach Flue Remedies
What is stomach flu?
Stomach flu is an intestinal infection resulting in watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting, and sometimes accompanied by fever.
What are the symptoms of stomach flu?
Following are the symptoms:
- Muscle aches or headache
- Watery diarrhea
- Abdominal cramps accompanied by pain.
- Vomiting, nausea, or both.
- Sometimes fever.
Also read: How Much Water Should You Drink Per Day?
How long does stomach flu last?
It depends on the cause, symptoms may appear within 1-3 days after you’re infected. Symptoms can range from mild to severe. Stomach flu usually lasts one day. Occasionally, it may persist as long as 10 days.
What causes stomach flu?
It is caused by contact with an infected person. It can also be caused by ingesting contaminated food.
What is the difference between stomach flu and food poising?
Signs and symptoms of food poisoning are similar to stomach flu. However, food poising is more severe. It usually begins within an hour or 2. There is a chance of food poising up to 12 hours after intaking the contaminated food. In severe cases, Vomiting blood or blood in the stool may appear.
Food poisoning usually lasts for several hours. The duration of food poisoning is shorter than the stomach flu.
Is the stomach flu contagious through the air?
Viruses that cause the stomach flu are very contagious. It is due to their presence in the stool and vomit of ill person. If you breathe in the air full of airborne viruses from the vomits, there is a chance that you may catch this flu.
Are there any stomach flu remedies?
There are several stomach flu remedies. Following are some of them:
- Your body needs the rest to fight off the infection. You need to get plenty of rest.
- Try to drink a lot of fluids. You have already lost important body fluids through vomiting, diarrhea, and sweating. You can use ginger and peppermint to calm your stomach.
- Use maximum BRAT ( Banana, rice, applesauce, toast) diet. These are easy to digest. These foods also contain carbohydrates to give you energy and restore nutrients.
- Acupressure is effective in treating some types of nausea. Find pressure point P-6. It can be found by measuring the width of 3 fingers down from the bottom of your palm. For two or three minutes, gently massage with your thumb.
- Avoid medicines because stomach flu can’t be cured by medications. Antibiotics are useless when a virus is a culprit.
How to avoid stomach flu?
- Instead of hand sanitizer, use soap and water.
- Use the dishwasher if possible.
- The sick family member should be kept in isolation.
- Clean countertops and surfaces by using a disinfectant spray.
Be happy, healthy, and strong!
Read more: 7 Home Remedies To Treat liver Spots
Note: If you have any question, you can ask by clicking the chat icon. I am available 24/7.
ACUTE VIRAL GASTROENTERITIS (OR “STOMACH FLU”).
How long are you contagious when you have a virus
What Type Of Water Is Best For Drinking – Here’s The Truth!.